Monday, May 17, 2010


Recently, our unit went to the aquarium and encountered various marine species. There were a vast amount of exhibits that were so fun to look at. One of my favorite exhibits was the penguin exhibit. The penguins actually looked a bit odd from the first glance, but this is because they were African black footed penguins. I was told that they were able to endure the climate of New Jersey unlike the penguins in the antarctic. In addition to seeing penguins, I also saw sea turtles. They were was one that was so huge! The aquarium had many fish such as clown fish that live in anemones. These are the stringy tentacles that are home to all clown fish. The sea anemones can sting any other fish, however clown fish are the only fish that do not get stung by anemones because of the symbiotic relationship they share. In this symbiotic relationship, the clown fish benefits because the anemone provides the fish with a home, and food. Likewise, the anemone also benefits from the presence of the clown fish. So in addition to seeing fish, I also saw sting rays. The aquarium had many different types of sting rays that you had the opportunity to touch. Personally, I found that experience very enjoyable and entertaining. I saw many sharks in the shark tank that hovered above us as we walked through the tunnel and I also ended up seeing something called a shark ray. This fish dieted on mollusks and crustaceans and was also referred to as a Bowmouth Guitarfish. Although it looked like a shark and a ray, it came from a separate category known as Guitar fish. These fish could easily protect themselves against enemies with there rough ridges on the top side of there head. These were very odd looking animals, but still cool to look at. In summary, the field trip to the Camden Aquarium was quite enjoyable and I learned a lot. I loved the playful and absolutely adorable seals that swam all around and we got to see them through the glass when they went underwater. The cutest one though, was the fat one just relaxing on a rock. The aquarium is a great place to go to learn new facts about marine species, and I really don't think anyone is too old for it!

I found my information here

No comments: